Biodegradability is a term you’ve probably heard a lot in recent years, especially in eco-friendly discussions. But what exactly does it mean? In the simplest terms, a biodegradable substance is capable of being decomposed by bacteria or other living organisms. It’s Mother Nature’s own recycling system!
Biodegradable garbage bags are made from plant-based materials like corn starch and other renewable resources. Instead of contributing to the never-ending mountains of plastic waste, these bags break down naturally over time, returning to the environment as harmless organic matter. The decomposition process typically takes 12 to 24 months, a blink of an eye compared to the hundreds of years it takes for traditional plastic bags to break down.
How to Choose the Best Biodegradable Garbage Bag
Choosing the right biodegradable garbage bag goes beyond just picking the first product you see on the shelf. Here are a few factors you should consider:
- Size: Choose a size that fits your trash can. Bags that are too small will struggle to contain your waste, while those that are too large may lead to unnecessary wastage.
- Durability: Biodegradable doesn’t mean weak. Look for bags that are tear-resistant and capable of holding your trash without splitting at the seams.
- Thickness: A thicker bag typically translates to a stronger bag. Check the product description for information on thickness.
- Price: Like any product, you’ll want to consider the price. However, remember that investing in biodegradable bags is also investing in our planet’s future.
- Customer Reviews: Check out what other users have to say about the product. Their insights can help you make an informed decision.
Now that you know what to look for, let’s dive into our top picks for the best biodegradable garbage bags on Amazon.
Top 5 Biodegradable Garbage Bags on Amazon
Reli really strike a balance between convenience and sustainability, revolutionizing everyday waste disposal. These 13-gallon bags, priced at just $19.99 for a pack of 100, are made from green biodegradable plastic. Being ASTM D6954 U.S. Standard certified, they not only decompose under certain conditions, but also boast robustness, ensuring reliable usage.
Customers are raving about these eco-friendly trash bags, awarding them an impressive average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. With 2,650 ratings on Amazon, the feedback praises the bags’ durability, leak-proof design, and the peace of mind that comes from knowing they’re making an environmentally-friendly choice. Dimensions of 24″x32″ and compatibility with small cans/bins make these bags versatile for a variety of needs. Experience the union of convenience and sustainability with Reli. Biodegradable Garbage Bags!
Embrace a sustainable lifestyle with SUPERBIO’s 13 Gallon Compostable Garbage Bags, an excellent solution to your kitchen waste management needs. These bags, priced at $23.95 for a pack of 50 (a mere $0.48 per bag), redefine trash disposal with their green design. They are made from compostable material and certified by BPI and OK Compost, meeting both the US ASTM D6400 standard and the EU EN 13432 standard. The bags are guaranteed to degrade into humus, CO2, and water within 180 days in a standard compost pile, further cementing their biodegradable credibility.
Customers have given these Biodegradable Garbage Bags a stellar average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. They are praised for their easy-to-dispense nature, value for money, leak-proof design, and durability, making them an appealing choice for 374 customers and counting. The bags are unscented, come in a 50-count pack, and can handle organic waste for up to 3 days before needing disposal. Step up your waste management game with SUPERBIO’s eco-friendly solution!
UNNI presents 100% compostable bags, each holding up to 2.6 gallons (9.84 liters). These bags, available in a pack of 100, are not just a sustainable choice, but they also carry the seal of being certified by the U.S., European, and other international standards for compostability.
Key features include:
- Extra-thick 0.71 Mil size for added strength
- Suitable for small kitchen food scrap waste
- Certified compostable in the U.S. and Europe
- Endorsed by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) under US standard ASTM D6400 and OK Compost Home under European standard EN 13432 by Vinçotte and Tüv Austria
- Manufactured from plant starches and does not contain polyethylene
- Easy to use and store
This product’s pricing stands at $11.98 for a pack of 100 bags.
Customer reviews are largely positive, with an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars. Users have particularly lauded its lightweight (4.8 stars), ease of use (4.6 stars), easy dispensation (4.5 stars), and durability (4.3 stars).
Lowe’s introduces the 30-gallon heavy-duty brown paper lawn and refuse bags for home and garden. An excellent choice for yard waste, these biodegradable garbage bags make clean-up tasks both eco-friendly and efficient.
Key features include:
- Large capacity, perfect for holding up to 30 gallons of waste
- Made from biodegradable paper, promoting environmentally conscious waste disposal
- Durable and heavy-duty, designed to withstand the weight of yard waste without tearing
- Ideal for both home and garden usage
- Pack contains 10 count of bags
The product has an overall customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars, with users praising their robust construction, capacity, and biodegradability. Despite the higher shipping & import fees to certain locations, customers find the product’s quality and functionality worth the price.
WALKINGLY presents the ProGreen 100% Compostable Bags, a set of 33-gallon biodegradable garbage bags designed for environmental sustainability. Made from completely biodegradable materials, these bags can decompose, making them an ideal choice for composting and other eco-friendly uses.
Key features of these biodegradable garbage bags include:
- Large 33-gallon capacity, suitable for handling substantial amounts of waste
- Each pack contains 20 extra-extra thick bags, measuring 1.1 Mil for superior strength and durability
- Certified by ASTM D6400, BPI, and VINCOTTE, ensuring the product’s biodegradability and eco-friendliness
- Ideal for disposing of food waste
- Suitable for use in a variety of settings including homes, offices, or institutional environments
The product has an overall customer rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, with users appreciating the scent (4.3/5), value for money (4.2/5), durability (4.1/5), and sturdiness (4.0/5) of these bags.
Jaoul brings you 4-gallon biodegradable garbage bags that are lightweight, sturdy, and provide excellent value for money. Crafted from Plant Starch Material (PSM), these bags are not only compostable but are also capable of decomposing back to nature.
Key features include:
- An oversized design fitting most small trash cans
- Biodegradable and compostable material, no smell
- An octagonal sealed bottom for added strength, ensuring durability
- Versatile use for both indoor and outdoor purposes
Additionally, these biodegradable garbage bags come in multiple size options to meet varying needs, including 1.2 Gallon, 2.6 Gallon, 4-6 Gallon, 4-6 Gallon (100 Count), 8 Gallon, and 13 Gallon.
The product has an overall customer rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, with users appreciating their lightweight design, sheerness, value for money, and sturdiness.
Why Switch To Biodegradable Garbage Bags?
- Environmentally Friendly: Unlike traditional plastic bags, biodegradable bags are made from natural materials, which reduce carbon emissions during production. Additionally, they decompose into harmless elements, posing less harm to wildlife and ecosystems.
- Reduction in Landfill Waste: Biodegradable garbage bags decompose much faster than traditional plastic, reducing the volume of waste in landfills.
- Encourages Sustainable Practices: Using biodegradable products promotes a more sustainable lifestyle and encourages companies to develop more eco-friendly products.
How to Properly Use and Dispose of Biodegradable Garbage Bags
Now that we’ve picked the best biodegradable garbage bags, let’s learn how to use and dispose of them correctly.
- Use Quickly: Biodegradable bags start to break down when exposed to light and air, so use them within a year of purchase, and store them in a cool, dark place.
- Fill Up: Make sure you fill your bags up to avoid wasting them. An empty bag still requires energy to produce and decompose.
- Compost if Possible: If your local waste management facility allows, compost your biodegradable bags along with food scraps and other compostable materials.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are biodegradable garbage bags made of?
Biodegradable garbage bags are usually made from plant-based materials like corn starch, potato starch, or other types of renewable resources. They can also be made from PBAT (Polybutyrate Adipate Terephthalate) and PLA (Polylactic Acid), both of which are compostable polymers.
2. How long do biodegradable garbage bags take to decompose?
The decomposition time of biodegradable garbage bags can vary based on the materials they’re made from and the conditions they’re exposed to. Typically, they can decompose in the soil within approximately 12 to 24 months, far less than the hundreds of years it takes for traditional plastic bags to break down.
3. Are biodegradable garbage bags better for the environment?
Yes, biodegradable garbage bags are generally better for the environment than traditional plastic bags. They’re made from renewable resources and can decompose naturally over time, reducing the amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfills and oceans. However, they still require energy to produce and transport, so the best practice is to reduce waste overall.
4. How should I store biodegradable garbage bags?
Biodegradable garbage bags should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight and high temperatures. This is because heat and light can start the decomposition process. Using them within a year of purchase is typically recommended.
5. Are biodegradable garbage bags compostable?
Not all biodegradable garbage bags are compostable. While both biodegradable and compostable bags break down over time, compostable bags are specifically designed to decompose in composting conditions, turning into nutrient-rich compost that can benefit soil. Always check the product label to ensure you’re using the bag as intended.
6. Can biodegradable garbage bags be recycled?
No, biodegradable bags typically can’t be recycled. They’re designed to decompose rather than be recycled like traditional plastic. Mixing them with regular plastic recycling can actually contaminate the recycling process.
7. Can I use biodegradable garbage bags for food waste?
Yes, most biodegradable garbage bags can be used for food waste. They can be a great way to collect food scraps for composting. However, always check the product label or manufacturer’s guidelines first.
8. Are biodegradable garbage bags more expensive than regular plastic bags?
Generally, biodegradable garbage bags are slightly more expensive than regular plastic bags. This is due to the higher cost of producing bags from plant-based or other renewable materials. However, many consumers are willing to pay a bit more for a product that is more environmentally friendly.
9. Do biodegradable garbage bags have a smell?
Some biodegradable garbage bags are unscented, while others may have a light scent added. The smell can vary depending on the brand and the materials used. Some people prefer scented bags to help mask the smell of garbage, while others prefer unscented bags to avoid potential irritants or allergens.
10. Can biodegradable garbage bags hold liquids?
Yes, many biodegradable garbage bags are designed to be leak-proof and can hold liquids. However, as with any garbage bag, it’s best not to overfill them or put in sharp objects that could potentially puncture the bag and cause leaks.
Making the switch to biodegradable garbage bags is an easy step towards a more sustainable lifestyle. Not only do they help reduce plastic pollution, but they also decompose naturally, leaving no trace behind. With our comprehensive guide and top picks from Amazon, you’re well-equipped to make a choice that benefits you and our planet. Go ahead, take the green step today!